Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Pan's Labyrinth































So far I've given you my best and worst movies of all time but from here on out I've decided not to rank any more of my movies, its really just to hard to do. So in no particular order I'll just be reviewing movies that you should either be sure to go see, or be sure to say away from. The next movie that I've decided to take a look at is "Pan's Labyrinth," otherwise known as "El Laberinto Del Fauno". Directed by Guillermo del Toro in 2006, "Pan's Labyrinth" is the story of a little girl (Ofelia) and her pregnant mother who move to the country side of Spain in 1944 to live with their new father and husband, Captain Vidal. During their stay, Captain Vidal (a twisted man) is in a constant struggle with refugees during World War 2 and thus Ofelia creates an imaginary world in order to escape her reality. In this imaginary world, Ofelia is asked to do 3 separate tasks, but in doing these tasks, she often puts her life at risk in both the real and imaginary world. There are several reasons why I love this movie. First off It's an independent film so it has the advantages of "real" acting and personal touches in script writing. Even though It's an independent film, the film still has amazing visuals and has won academy awards for best art direction, best cinematography, and best makeup. Though, what's really interesting about this movie is that it's not your ordinary child's fairy tale. Actually, this movie really does have quite a sick and twisted side to it and there are a few scenes which are pretty graphic. This is actually nice because it's not a constance stream of gore like other movies so it keeps the movie interesting and changes the tempo often so you're not board. On the flip side, between the beautiful sound track to the movie and the fact that It's entirely in Spanish, (with English subtitles) the movie has a really beautiful feel to it; even among the violence. Lastly, I love the ending to this movie, It keeps you in suspense for awhile and has a nice "fairy tale" end to it that really makes you think. All in all, this movie is worth your time so make sure you go see it.

View the trailer here

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

4 comments:

  1. This movie was amazing. Guillermo del Toro is crazy, but in a good way the ideas are out side the box and beautiful. Did you see the other movie he did this year, the orphanage or something like that, it looked creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only other movies that I've seen of his were "Blade 2" and "Hellboy" though I did really want to see "Hellboy 2" if you've seen "Hellboy 2" or the trailer for it then you must have seen how similar the creatures were in comparison to "Pan's Labyrinth". I had not heard of "The Orphanage" but if you're talking about "El Orfanato," Guillermo del Toro didn't direct it. It was directed by Juan Antonio Bayona. If it's a different movie then what I'm looking at give me the web link to it so I can check it out. Here's the imdb page to "El Orfanato". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0464141/. Still, "El Orfanato" looks pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I have to say to this is YAY! I loved Pan's Labyrinth!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This movie was great. I was very beautiful. I always think of the part with the ginger root under the bed. Definitely not a children's fairy tale. His other movie "The Devil's Backbone" is always very good.

    ReplyDelete